When to Cash Out? How much? Or wait and move up?

mexmegaman mexmegaman

When to Cash Out? How much? Or wait and move up?

I don´t know if this topic goes here, but I think is a crucial part when trying to be a pro or semi pro or just a new player (my case) trying to make some money in poker. Maybe you can make a post explaining how you mannage this in your beginnigns or nowadays.

---

I´ve read some books about bankroll management, I know that you should have from 20 up to 50 (conservative dusty schmidt advice) buy ins to continue in a level. But never read about when to cash out some of your bankroll or how much? Or wait and build more bankroll to move up in stakes?

You might say that that´s something each one can deal with.

But any advice anyone?

Do anyone have a rule to follow when cashing out?
How often do you cash out?
Do you play at the same stakes for you to cash out?
Or you didn´t cash any and move up?

I´m thinking about cashing out anything above my 50 buy ins, let´s say each week for 1-2 months, then continue my bankroll building to try and move up in stakes.

Is this a good rule to follow?

Thank you and good luck!
BlackRain79 BlackRain79

Re: When to Cash Out? How much? Or wait and move up?

Thanks for the suggestion. I probably will not cover this topic on this blog though because I write about the micros. I think that you should pretty much always be investing back into the business so to speak at these stakes.

If you play professionally at the micros then you could take out a set amount per month, but not very many people are playing professionally at these limits anyways.
Get my FREE poker ebook here.
Stalking Tiger Stalking Tiger

Re: When to Cash Out? How much? Or wait and move up?

I was going to ask for a blog topic on the same thing. Having read your reply, what stake to you suggest starting to cash out and then is there an equivalent to bankroll management but for cashing out?
BlackRain79 BlackRain79

Re: When to Cash Out? How much? Or wait and move up?

It really depends on your goals in the game. If you want to play at the highest stakes then in theory you shouldn't cash out until you are playing at the nosebleeds. If you are a pro or semi-pro it is different. But for the stakes discussed on this blog (where most people are not pro) I would suggest just never cashing out especially if the goal is to move up.
Get my FREE poker ebook here.